Whether you are selling an old wedding dress over an online auction house or sending your first wedding dress to a daughter or sister, sending a wedding dress through the mail can be a daunting experience. A wedding dress that is not properly packaged and shipped can become damaged, which will lead to a costly repair. There are many factors to consider when mailing a wedding dress, no matter how far the distance.
- Locate a sturdy cardboard box to ship the dress. The box should be large enough to accommodate the dress and any packaging that will be used to protect the piece, such as packing peanuts or waded up pieces of paper. The box should also be corrugated to ensure it is strong enough to protect the dress during transit.
- Stuff the sleeves, bodice and skirt of the dress with acid free tissue paper. This will protect the form of the dress during shipping.
- Fold the dress tightly and measure its width. Take this measurement and locate a plastic bag that will fit the dress snugly. A garment bag that is designed to hold wedding dresses can be purchased at a bridal boutique.
- Place the dress inside of the plastic bag. Make sure that the dress is free of any dust or debris and seal the bag with packing tape.
- Fill the bottom of the shipping box with a one-inch layer of a desired cushioning product, such as packing peanuts.
- Set the dress carefully on top of the cushioning product and fill the rest of the box with the protective product.
- Fold the top flaps of the cardboard box closed and seal them securely with wide packaging tape. Make sure that the flaps are completely secured to avoid any accidental rips or tears to the box.
- Place a label on top of the box. Write your shipping and return address labels clearly and make sure to add a second shipping label inside of the box, just in case the outer label is damaged and rendered unreadable.
- Bring the box to your local post office or shipping establishment. Have the package weighed to receive the price of the shipping and purchase insurance for the item to help protect your investment, in case the dress is damaged during transit.
[magento cat=’616, 3′]